Three people have been taken to hospital after a fire broke out at a ground floor flat.
The blaze started in the kitchen of a property in Gilmore Place, Edinburgh, just before 9.30pm.
Two women and a man were taken by ambulance to the city's Royal Infirmary.
A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service said the man, who was a neighbour, had tried to put the flames out before crews arrived.
In a separate incident, a 65-year-old woman was taken to the same hospital when a grill pan caught alight at her second floor flat in Barn Park Crescent, in the Wester Hailes area of the city, at about 9pm.